Thursday, February 27, 2003

Hussein calls Bush out.

Did you see that? Unbelievable. On CBS last night, with the aid of Dan Rather, the president of Iraq challenged the president of the United States to a debate. A live, televised via satellite throwdown. Hussein said we can go man-to-man, pardner. Heads up. You ask me some questions, and I’ll ask you some questions. You explain why you want to go to war, and I’ll explain why I want peace. In front of the whole world. Uncut. Uncensored. Straight up.

What was Bush’s response? According to CBS, the White House said no way, Jose. They said Hussein wasn’t serious. Is that the sound of chickens clucking?

Okay, seriously, if I were the president, I wouldn’t take Hussein serious either. Joining that guy in a debate puts him on an equal level, something that he is not. Or is he?

It is very hard for a human rights loving country like ourselves to argue that another human being is not worthy of being debated, especially when the topic is something as important as national sovereignty. Yes, it can be argued that Saddam Hussein’s heinous actions against the Kuwaitis and his own people disqualify him from being considered an honorable opponent worth of debate, and that’s my point. But that’s not what the White House said…at least yet. So far, the spin controllers haven’t done their job.

Like I said, if I were president, I wouldn’t honor Hussein with a debate. But I’m not president, and I would find a Bush-Hussein debate fascinating. I’d love to see it happen, mostly because I don’t think Bush would win. Mostly because Bush is crappy when talking off the top of his head. But also because the real U.S. policy towards Iraq is secret, and all the posturing over Weapons of Mass Destruction and aiding terrorists is a smokescreen designed to placate an American public that’s still touchy over the events of 9/11. Bush knows this, Hussien knows this, and THAT’S why there’ll be no debate about it. Hussein would ask too many questions that Bush won’t be able to answer.

One thing is certain: if anyone ever thought Hussein was stupid, they have been emphatically proven wrong. He may be a murderous, lying, out-for-himself dictator, but he made Bush look like the cowardly warmonger. Yikes.

More later…
Paul

No comments: