Friday, July 09, 2004

Beating up on 6 year olds?

Former L.A. Mayor Richard Riordan, in a PUBLIC APPEARANCE, called a six-year-old student a "stupid, dirty girl": sacbee.com -- Politics -- Furor grows over Riordan's remark to girl.

Hey, I'm trying to stay positive here, but these guys keep throwing softballs!

Read that crazy article. It goes on to state that a black assemblyman gets so up in arms about it, he schedules some type of NAACP press conference...only to cancel it when he learns that the little girl is white! Naturally, all outrage is now focused on the assemblyman, while Riordan stumbles along, with Arnold's full support and confidence. Unbelievable.

Shouldn't the man just apologize to the kid?

Hold the phone! I've just seen the video of the entire event, and while it was an ill-advised comment (to say the least), it was reasonably clear to the little girl and her classmates that Riordan was just teasing her. According the The Smoking Gun website, he even apologized later on...so I guess I got caught up in the media hoopla, passing judgement before I understood the whole deal.

Dick, I'm sorry...

More later...
Paul

No comments: