Friday, July 16, 2004

NADER
 
Yesterday I got a call from by buddy Lliam, telling me that Ralph Nader was going to speak at our local Vroman’s bookstore (the same store, incidentally, that hosted Hilary Clinton for her book signing last year) in a few minutes.  Coincidentally, I was headed into the area of that particular book store at the time, and for some reason, I decided to go hear what Mr. Nader had to say.
 
First off, let me tell you that I am extremely unhappy with the current set of so-called “candidates” we have to choose from for the upcoming Presidential election.  As far as I’m concerned, Mr. Kerry is no better than Mr. Bush, seeing how they are both members of the same secret society (Yale’s Skull and Bones).  Regardless of what their “platforms” say, these guys both answer to the same corporate interests, and I am convinced that even if Kerry were elected, the changes to this country would be minimal.
 
Yet at the same time, I was wary of the potential “spoiler” role that some say Nader is determined to play.  I have a lot of intelligent friends who sing the “Anybody but Bush” song loud and clear, and they are truly concerned that a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush, in that it takes away another much needed vote for their man John Kerry.  They may have a point.
 
But I decided to see for myself what Ralph had to say.  I arrived to see a fairly large crowd (not Clinton-esque by any standard, but still large), and I immediately scanned the room for free food and drinks.  No deal.  Just as I was about to complain to my friend, a hush settled over the room as four tall men walked through the crowd to the podium.  Dang, Ralph Nader is taller than me!  I don’t know why this matters, but it was pleasant surprise number one.  Warm, sustained applause greeted Ralph Nader’s Pasadena appearance.
 
After quickly thanking the crowd, Ralph got right down to business, making a very moving and eloquent case for a third party candidate.  He correctly pointed out that growing apathy among progressive voters is leading to their acceptance of substandard presidential candidates, the whole “lesser of two evils” mindset that many of my pro-Kerry friends have firmly adopted.  Nader focused on the fact that the duopoly that currently governs the country is fully funded and controlled by big business interests, and that’s why important issues like health care and a decent living wage for all Americans has been totally ignored by the Democrat and Republican rivals.
 
Pleasant surprise number two: Ralph Nader made me think.  And that’s a whole hell of a lot more than what Kerry/Bush make me do, with their clever speech snippets and carefully orchestrated campaign stops.  As I mentioned earlier, I am already unhappy with what we have to choose from in November.  In fact, I was seriously considering beginning a write-in campaign, urging other similarly-frustrated voters to write-in “I demand a better choice” on their ballots.  Yes, I realize that is in essence throwing away my vote, but my conscience will not allow me to just pick one because he’s not as bad as the other.  Say you were traveling across country, and during a particularly long stretch across the wilderness you stop in the only diner for miles, and the choice for dinner is rat or maggot soup.  What would you do?  Would you really try to convince yourself that there are appetizing qualities when none actually exist?  Or would you choose to leave without eating, and let your stomach growl and boil for the rest of the night?
 
I won’t vote for Bush.  I can’t vote for Kerry.  I am independent of either party, and I support an alternative choice.  I will vote for Ralph Nader in November, because I think he’ll make a better President than either Kerry or Bush.
 
More later…
Paul

No comments: